It is kind of unsettling to see that all that dirt was in your carpet. When your vacuum looks full to the brim, it’s time to clean it out and here’s how to tackle it.
– Remove the canister and empty the contents into the trash.
– Take the canister apart, remove any stubborn dirt/fluff and rinse in warm water.
– Check your filters and clean as needed. Some are washable so just rinse in warm water until the water runs clear, squeeze out the excess and let it air dry. (Check your manual for instructions on how to care for your filter.)
– Check hoses for blockage. There should be one at the roller brush but also check where the dirt goes into the canister and the hose attachment.
– Use a seam ripper to remove hair and string from the roller brush. Scissors would work as well.
– Wipe the vacuum clean and wait 24 hours for its parts to thoroughly dry before putting it back together. If the filter is still damp after 24 hours, use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.
After the vacuum is cleaned, lean it back up and turn it on for 30 seconds to run air through the system to loosen any potential clogs.